Our building at One North Washington Street has a past as rich as many
of its historical contents. It was registered as a Michigan Historical
Site by the Michigan Historical commission on September 14, 1992. Around
1900, a two story brick building was built on the site by Alfred
Hagerman. It was known as the “Hagerman Block," and housed James
Blanchard's Saloon, the Michigan Central Ticket Office, and had a
billiards hall on the second floor. A staircase on the sidewalk led to
the basement which may have housed other small businesses.
In the early 1920's, the building was purchased by the Oxford Savings
Bank and was torn down to the Terrazzo floor, and rebuilt into the one
story Indiana limestone building you see today. It was the home of
Oxford Savings Bank from 1922 to 1966. It was left vacant for several
years, and took months of hard work by many determined volunteers to
refurbish the building to be used as a museum.
The Northeast Oakland Historical Museum recently celebrated its 35th anniversary.